- Pages under construction. Please be patient as content is revised and posted with the new look.!
The Wayne County Historical Association was established on March 27, 1979 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
The purpose of this organization is to discover, preserve, document, display, and disseminate historical knowledge and artifacts of Wayne County. It also seeks to increase public awareness of the heritage of Wayne County and its environs through exhibits, events, traditional and digital information sources.
WCHA owns and operate the Wayne County Museum as well as the Town Meeting Hall (formerly the First Presbyterian Church) on Ash Street.
The Wayne County Museum building was constructed in 1927 by the Goldsboro Woman’s Club. In 1915 local women began work to raise the capital to build a home for their club. After World War I they undertook two ambitious projects to raise money for the building fund: the operation of a cafeteria next to Robinson’s Drug Store downtown and running a filling station that was constructed temporarily on the lot purchased for the club headquarters.
The building was completed for $46,000 with most of the funding coming directly from the efforts of club members.
During World War II the Goldsboro Woman’s Club offered the building to the United Service Organization (USO). For four and a half years thousands of service men spent time in the building which was often their last stop before being shipped overseas. Attendance reached as high as 12,000 per month. In January 1947 the building was formerly turned back over to the club. Money donated by the USO for use of the building went to pay off the remaining $5,000 the Woman’s Club owed on the mortgage.
By the 1980’s club membership had dwindled and the executive board voted to donate the building to the Wayne County Historical Association. Plans were completed for the transaction and the deed was transferred in the fall of
The Wayne County Historical Association raised over $65,000 to restore the exterior and ground floor of the building. On December 9, 1988 the Wayne County Museum officially opened with an event attended by 400 over people. Since the museum’s opening, an elevator has been added to the building to make the second floor handicap accessible. Other additions include a wheelchair ramp in front of the building and new handicap accessible restrooms.